Friday, October 24, 2008

Early Halloween??

I had a bloody, messy "helloweenish" experience a week ago. And would like to share with you all what $300 and a trip to the ER will get you...

It all started when my beautiful, wonderful D' offered to help me make dinner. I am of a firm belief that letting kids help cook is not only helpful for the adults, but it does all sorts of good things for the young'uns (building self esteem, better attitudes abt. food/eating, etc.), so with that in mind I thought "sure, why not" and I had the perfect job. D took to "stripping" the corn with delight, and after removing all the "hair" we were left with corn-on-the-cob with a stick on the end.

Well, we couldn't very well have that in the stoup, so the stubb had to come off... I pulled down the knife, but found the stubb was hard, and I needed both my hands to hold the corn still on the cutting board. D, eager to help, and me in a rush needing help, took over the cutting... it was GREAT! The stubb was coming off, D was happy because he was helping, and I took my eyes off this whole project, to quickly glance at the clock on the microwave, and as I turned my head back I felt a warm fluid"y" feeling on my left index finger....

I had been cut, there was an L shaped laceration, it was bleeding fast, and I was mostly worried about D's reaction. So I quickly pulled away my bleeding hand, wrapped some papertowel around and treated it as just a little cut. Later as I was rushing to pick up Abs from swimming, I pulled the papertowel off to do some self examination... I will spare you all and myself the gory details, it still makes me queasy just thinking about it, needless to say, it was deep, and pretty serious.

But I had band-aids in my purse, so I dried off as much blood as I could and put two on.
The rest of the evening passed by uneventful. But the next morning I didn't feel so good, my index finger looked brused and was hurting pretty bad. When I talked to one of the other moms at school she told me to go to the ER, they had to help me regardless of insurance (which I do not have by the way). So off I went... and, 300 dollars later, a long wait, (my finger was dipped in some fizzing liquid to be cleansed,), some glue and this is what my hand looked like:


yeah... I was a little distubed on the way home, it looked bad. AND I had to have antibiotics. However careful I'd been I guess it'd still gotten infected... Fortunately, the kids were at their dads' this weekend. I must say, I thought it wasn't this big of a deal. But I was worried how D would take it all, and hoped it wouldn't be too traumatic. (He was a little anxious when he saw my hand Monday night, but I assured him that it looked a lot worse than what it was). So below is the cut. See the L shape? And the flash is reflected on the glue the Dr. put on. But there you have it. My own Halloween story... fortunately with a happy ending.. Now, a week later i only have one little band-aid on it. It's itching but that is good, and the best of all, I am done with the Antibiotic cure.... YAY!!!!

2 comments:

LeaAnne said...

OK..lol
YOU my friend have an L for Line!
Rune has a great big N~for Norway!
I hope it is healing well!

Anonymous said...

Line,
how come you didn't tell me that you cut our finger? On second thought I don't think that I could of handle it. I glad that it's getting bettter!