Friday, July 13, 2012

thought's on filming...

...On Movie Sets:


Now people might think movie sets are exciting fascinating places... even fun... but I am here to tell you different!! It is a LOT of sitting around waiting, getting the scenes ready FOR shooting, the actual filming takes only a few minutes, (depending on how good and prepared the actors are) and then all the excitement is over...


To shoot even a minute of a film there is so much prep work and "build up" the actors really only shows up, portray the correct emotions, say their lines and that is it for them... The REAL work is done before and after, and a little "during"... The grips and riggers, the props department, the set assistants, Costume and Wardrobe, the engineers, electricians etc THEY are the ones who do all the work and gets little of the credit. (I mean come on, honestly how many of us sit through the credits all the way to the end!!!)


Then of course it depends on what kind of film it is, period pieces may have a TON more crew on say props and wardrobe than for instance a comedy or a thriller, or a Sci-Fi; has a lot more special effects crew and perhaps less people in props and set decor. Each genre has it's own "special needs". A rom-com is perhaps more about the writers and directors. On an action movie set it's about safety and stunts.. 

In my opinion the REAL "hero's" of a movie are the people behind the scenes. Not the producer/director, Not the actors, but the labourers who prepare everything and do the hard work... in many ways it's like building a house.. Sure the designers do a fabulous job, but the real credit is for the people who put in the support beams, who nail the walls and the ceilings together, who put in the piping, the electricity, the floors and stairs.... it doesn't matter who "lives" there... without these other people there wouldn't be a house!!!


So today my thoughts and appreciation goes to the "builders" of movies and tv shows.... you have my admiration and respect, and my thanks!!!!! In my opinion, just getting your name at the end of a movie you work on is not credit enough!!!! (Perhaps this is why I always take a lot of pictures of the crew and the "workings" when I visit sets....)


However this does NOT mean I will stop chasing my favorite actors... lol... I do still want a bit of them as well... but I will try to remember and appreciate more, the "background-ers"    ;)


2 comments:

Diana Oaks said...

What is it that their signatures are on? Is it a piece of cloth? And kudos for giving kudos to the behind the scenes folks - in the end, all they get is that little credit and the satisfaction of having been part of something that may give people some entertainment. (Or may not, depending on the film...)

Linemoren said...

Yes, the signatures are on pieces of cloth, I have decided that a better way of enjoying and keeping signatures is to make them "usable". With that in mind, I decided I'm going to make a quilt with them... so I get the autographs on pieces of fabric, embroider or sew the autographs and put them all together in a quilt... it'll be a work in progress... but a much better way to enjoy them.. :D