Thursday, January 1, 2009

Insanity or stupidity on a stick!!!

Today I witnessed something truly CRAZY!!!!! Last night, Barry was looking on the internet and came across this web-site about the Polar Bear Club he exclaimed "hey, hey that's what I want to do tomorrow....." So today after eating some Norskie Pannekaker (made by yours truly) we set out, to Coney Island....

Now you might think, okay? So what? There's a bunch of crazy people jumping in the water... so what..... Let me tell you... we had nice sunny skies, but the temperature (air) was 11 degrees F!!!!!! and in the water 34 degrees!!!!!!! And people were running into the water, dipping under, of their OWN FREE WILL!!!!! (I will post pics later to prove it!) Some even stayed in for a few minuets, playing and splashing around... it was the craziest scene I have witnessed in a looooong while!!!!!
And Barry... yup... he got in....submerged himself and came back out a few inches taller and with some more (possibly frozen) chest-hair..... TRUE STORY!!!

this was taken before....

7 comments:

BarryF said...

This is Barry... Line has been drinking. I would never submerge myself in 34 degree water. Poor woman... someone send her help.

Barry

Linemoren said...

Just wait until I post the pictures to prove the craziness!!!

BarryF said...

Pictures? You have pictures? Oh damn, ok... I did it. But I had been drinking.

(pictures... damn you).

Krista J said...

The event itself sounds like an old....hmm...shall I say, Finnish tradition. :) Crazy Finns!

Linemoren said...

Yes Krista, it is an old Nordic tradition, which the Finns have continued up until this day... the original "Polar Bear Club" was for those who did it anywhere above the Polar Circle..but obviously that has changed as well... lol.. it was awesome though!!

BarryF said...

It's Jan 5 and I am just starting to warm up from that swim... Note to self: next year don't look for things to do on New Year's Day.

mr.brighton said...

So did you see any of my pictures from the summer vacation where my son and I were swimming in lakes that were mostly covered in ice?