Monday, January 7, 2008

A Good Book....

I love books..... I really do.... the best thing in the world is to curl up in a good chair with a wonderful book..... And just as good.... a FANTASTIC adaptation of such book.... Like the latest version of Jane Eyre....

There have been many various versions of JANE EYRE, such as:
(1983)
Considered to be among the best versions of this famous story. (NOT BY ME MIND YOU!!!)
Cast: Timothy Dalton, Zelah Clarke, Judy Cornwell, Robert James
Director: Julian Amyes


(1996)
Cast: William Hurt, Joan Plowright, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Anna Paquin, Elle Macpherson
Director: Franco Zeffirelli


(1997)
Cast: Samantha Morton, Gemma Jones, Ciarán Hinds, Rupert Penry-Jones, Laura Harling, Deborah Findlay
Director: Robert Young


And there are some others, US versions, which I shall not even bother commenting on, as they don't deserve my attention.

But this latest one, with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens (Masterpiece Theatre 2007) is my absolute favorite. I feel it brings the spirit of the story Charlotte Brontë wanted us to have though it might differ slightly in some places from the text. (Yes, much of Jane's past is missing, but what is there is captivating) It's heart-warming, passionate (All those kissing scenes..... let's be honest here... who wouldn't want to be kissed like that.... by Mr. Rochester...), suspenseful, full of beautiful scenery and costuming; all in all, a whole 4 hours of excellent entertainment. Just as curling up in that nice chair with the book....

2 comments:

Vic said...

Oh, yes, I enjoyed this Jane Eyre version tremendously! The photography alone was delicious. And the actors were perfect in the parts. Very well done.

Anonymous said...

I agree as well. Brilliant acting, cinematography and scripting. I think they adapted it beautifully for modern audiences and it has encouraged me to reread the book. Love Toby Stephens as Mr Rochester - couldn't be more perfect in my view! *sigh*