Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Austenpalooza

So, waiting for many many months now, half agony half hope, the time did now come... Did I prepare properly? Did I raise or lower my expectations according to the reviews I'd read on directors, actors and writers? Would I EVER be satisfied??

This was bigger than christmas, bigger than any promotion, or graduation, the wait has been sooo long, and yet, it seemed only like yesterday I was rejoicing in the news of the makings of an "Austen Season".

I had my hopes very high. The British have always, I thought, been good at preserving their own, and surely, Miss Jane Austen is as sacred as they come... But then, I had to remind myself, I am a Purist. In the very essence of the word. And like so many, I have my particular favorites, and opinions....

Persuasion - possibly my most favored book... possibly the "heroine"(Anne) I identify with the most, and the 1995 movie version (starring Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds) is the equivalent of perfection, in my mind.....

So why is it that we humans feel this indescribable need to mess with perfection????

The nicest thing I can say about the re-make, provided by Masterpiece Theatre is that Rupert Penry-Jones is very handsome, but NOT handsome enough to tempt me!! He did do a good job. But he's THE ONLY thing I found worth my time.... and that just isn't enough!

They butchered all my favorite scenes, the characters were just not enough of their characters to make me believe in them, and, again, why mess with perfection?

So, as I brush all my dissapointment aside, I straighten my back and square my shoulders in anticipation of the next showing, which is a version of the only book of Jane's that I had a hard time with, and no strong feelings to speak of...
BRING IT ON!

No comments: