Friday, May 11, 2012

Chocolate is good for the soul!

As I was leaving Miss B's today, I was going to stop and use the bathroom, when a cute old man in the room opposite hailed me down.... [I was wearing a blue t-shirt so it's possible he thought I was one of the nurses (they wore blue today also).] He asked me very kindly for some chocolate, and as I told him I didn't think I had any on me, his face fell a little and muttered "okay, but they said they would call for some".. I felt bad, and told him my friend had some Peanut Butter Cups and he could have one of them, but he told me he didn't like those, he only liked Kisses.. Well, as there was nothing more for me to do, I went to the bathroom and then headed down the elevator. However the man would not leave my mind... So I headed back upstairs, asked at the nurses' station if he had any allergies, then went back downstairs and bought him a Hershey's bar. When I got back upstairs he'd finished his dinner, so I knocked on his door and presented him with the chocolate bar, his face lit up, then he seemed to have a thought, and he quietly asked "are there any nuts in it"? I told him no, it was a milk chocolate Hershey's bar, and he gave me a brilliant smile, then I left.

Moral of the story? Chocolate is good for the soul! I had been feeling like CRAP all day, but after being smiled at, by this sick and dying man, when all I did was give him some chocolate, I felt like a millionaire. He fed my soul!

3 comments:

Diana Oaks said...

What a sweet story Line! You're a good person, and I could picture you doing this in my mind's eye - I thing sometimes it really is the smallest things that have the greatest impact.

Catherine said...

This is really great. Thanks for sharing it, Line. It is a good reminder for me to not get so wrapped up in my own life, to not serve, love someone.

Ann said...

Line, this is typically YOU! Reminiscent of the article Catherine sent me of a taxi cab driver. Will try to forward it as it sounds just like you!

Tried to reach you for Mother's Day, do hope your day was most special!