Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Another meeting... another bar... or Bookstore...

I was fortunate to discover, while waiting for my roommate to join me, an event with one of the people I admire most in this world... Temple Grandin!!!

Author Sy Mongomery wrote a book for teenagers and their parents, with and about Miss Grandin, called "Temple Grandin: How the Girl Who Loved Cows Embraced Autism and Changed the World". And last night they were at Barnes and Noble presenting the book with an Q&A session. I had no idea beforehand but consider it very fortunate that I stumbled across this event.

Miss Grandin is a pioneer in so many ways, and I admire her so very much for the work that she does. I thought it was funny how most of the questions were about schools and raising children with Autism. And Temple had some really good ideas and answers. I was also able to present my questions:
1 - Who inspires you? and
2 - How do you find projects? Do you seek them out or do they come to you?

Temple's answers were really good. She credited her Science Teachers and Workshop Teachers as well as her parents as inspirational guides. And to the second question she told us she's always been creative and just found that "iron is just grown-up wood, and cement is grown-up clay/dirt".
In my mind when forming the question I was thinking more along the lines of the books she's written, tv-shows, movies, etc. so it was a bit of a surprise to me how she answered, until I thought about it and realized her answer was very apropo.

 It was a really fun and intimate event, and I am ecstatic that I got to experience it! Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me!!! *scream* (when will I EVER learn????) But my roomie showed up and she did, so I did get a few pics. (Quality is so-so because I am not familiar with her camera!)




Have I mentioned I LOVE BEING BACK IN NYC??????????

No comments: