Thursday, July 7, 2011

When a good man goes to war....

"When a good man goes to war" was the name of the last season episode of Doctor Who... and I find it fitting as I grieve and attempt to deal with the loss of one of the best men I've had the privilege of knowing....


What does one say to a young widow, at the loss of her best friend, her companion, her husband? How does one comfort a family with two small children who will grow up without their father?  What can one say to a family who have lost and have to bury a son, a brother, a grandson, a cousin? What do I have to say that can make a difference or give comfort?


In the nights, when I am alone with my thoughts, the regrets and missed chances come out. How do I honor my friend and the influence he made on my life and my personality? The sorrow for all the opportunities that were missed, because I didn't bother picking up the phone, or write a letter.. The words that were never spoken, the gratitude never expressed... And yet, his influence in my life will never go away, his example, his model life never forgot. He lives on, in his children, his wife, those who's lives he has touched.. The many people he taught, will live on with his teachings.


But I.... I have lost a dear friend, a brother, to a meaningless illness... and I grieve.. knowing as I do, his family grieves more..


Updated:


2 comments:

Anette said...

Ordene du skriver her er virkelig berømmelsesverdige!!! Helt fantastisk hvordan du hedrer ham i det du sier...

Fryktelig trist, og jeg kjenner meg maktesløs her jeg sitter...

Klem til deg!!

Linemoren said...

Takk Anette! Eg kjenner klemmen din hele veien over Atlanteren. OG tar i mot den med takk...