Monday, July 11, 2011

Grief


Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.
Victor Hugo


There is something, not quite but almost profound in grief. Most times I guess it can seem overwhelming and hurting, but at times it can lead to some honest, spiritual and acute "light-bulb moments".


Everyone will lose someone they love, someone they're close to, someone who's made an impact on their lives... How we deal with this is individual, and very varied. I'm learning things about myself and about what is important in my life. I "blame" this on Wes, (my friend that I lost...) I think I am having this learning experience in my grieving process, largely because of the kind of man he was.


Fortunately I have my personal Faith to sustain me and carry me through.. So many times throughout the funeral I found myself wondering how others get through something like this without a belief in life after death. I believe it with my whole heart. In fact I'll go so far as to say I know it! I know we will live again. And I believe families can be together for ever.. That faith sustains me.


Back to grief, the process this time, has for me been quite deep and philosophical. Emotional to be sure, but so enlightening that I find it endurable. I think we humans grieve in many situations. Many scientific reports have shown that Grief is a process and a healthy one at that... Personally I've experienced the devastating grief that almost pushes one over the edge, the calm, cool and collected grief, and each time I've come through a wiser human being. This time I'm going through a healthier kind of grief process.


So, Wes is still teaching, still showing a perfect example, oh my friend, the heavens have gained a powerhouse of a human being. I'm left with a hole in my heart, but I feel it glowing with your love and friendship. Tusen takk min venn!


Do you know what friendship is... it is to be brother and sister; two souls which touch without mingling, two fingers on one hand.
Victor Hugo

No comments: