Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Power of Books

I know I've done postings about this before, but yesterday I had another fun experience at the bookstore! (Besides reading a pretty good book)

I'm sitting in the window at Barnes and Noble, and this very cute guy comes and sits down next to me on a huge, movable staircase.... We made eye contact, nodded at each other, smiled and then he said "the best seat in the house!" I smiled at him and said, "you might be right about that" then turned to look out the window... A few times over the next little while our eyes would meet again, we would smile at each other and then turn back to our books or look out the window.

The square down below was beautiful. It bathed in the twiligh and people scurried to and fro'. The christmas lights wrapped around the trees along the street shone as if the very lives of those passing by depended on them... and the lights of the cars made it nice and colourful. There was a big Menorah down in the little park as well, made out of some kind of wood, but the lights from around it bounced off it and gave it a strange, but beautiful, glow...

It was magical!!
Until one of the Barnes and Noble workers came to yell at me for sitting in the window....
My newfound friend got upset on my behalf, because noone told him to get off the latter, and he didn't think that was fair. He also didn't see the danger of anyone sitting in the windows and made a thorough "search" for reasons it wouldn't be safe to sit there. It was sweet, and funny, and nice... to think someone cared enough about a stranger to do that, or get invested in that way.

A little while later his phone beeped, and he was off... with a lovely smile, a nodd and a "Happy New Year" to me, he disappeared from my life as quickly and quietly as he had come. Not knowing the enchantment he had left me with...
it was beautiful...

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Thanks for sharing the moment, Line! Bookstores are therapy for me! And I love your blog too!