Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Jewish Missionaries?

Now before anyone gets their panties all twisted up in pretzels... let me just acknowledge, I am a white, naive girl who doesn't know many things, but in my defense I am not trying to offend... I am just saying it as I see it. I am sorry if I step on anyone's toes!! And please feel free to enlighten me, but do so nicely and respectfully! (as I also try to be!!)

I have come to think that being a Norwegian LDS chick in New York, is possibly comparable to a black catholic living in Salt Lake City.... By that I mean to say, it is a strange new world out here in NYC. Strange customs, strange holidays, (but LOVELY people!!!!), and a huge mish-mash of everything in between...

Now to my point... throughout these four months I've come to understand that NYC largely follows the Jewish Holidays... back in September/October the kids' school was out during the time of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur and most businesses were closed or shut down early... Then during Sukkot there were little square "huts" all over the place... in the parks, etc. And this is when I saw the most peculiar thing.... One night as I was making my way home I passed through a park area to the Subway, when I was approached by a nice Jewish man who asked me if I was Jewish, I told him no and that I had to run to catch my subway... and that was the end of that... I forgot the episode until this past Sunday night...when as I was leaving Barnes and Noble, I was again approached by a nice looking young man. He asked me if I were Jewish, to which I replied no, he then asked if I knew that tonight [Sunday] was the last day of Hanukkah, I said I did know that... and he asked me if I had any Jewish friends and then encouraged me to tell them happy Hanukkah...

I was strangely brought back in time to a cold day in Norway, when I was the one, approaching strangers to share my church belief and customs.... Street Meetings... As I thanked the nice young man and wished him a happy Hanukkah, and ran for the bus, I looked back towards the square and the huge Menorah and saw others, walking around talking to people, I thought to myself, maybe we're not so different after all.....

1 comment:

LeaAnne said...

I think it was a very nice post Line! :)
Yes, maybe we are not so different from most people! :)