Saturday, September 27, 2008

Introspection....

Wednesday night I stumbled across the Norwegian Sailors Church, it's a 'home away from home' for norwegians out traveling, and they just happened to celebrate 130 years in New York City. The foreign minister of Norway, Jonas Gahr Støre spoke...
Sopran Cathrine Sørbøe Villesvik sangand artists such as Sondre Lerche and Ola Gjeilo performed..

As I sat there, surrounded by my fellow citizens and friends of Norway and it's culture, I felt as lonely and out of place as I've ever been.... Like I was the outsider looking in, or a fish in the desert... it was the strangest thing.... then going home, as I sat among total strangers on the subway, I felt more at ease and at home than I did among "my own" people. I feel very much more like an amerikan sometimes, than a Norwegian. That is not to say I am not proud of my heritage and fond of my roots... I think it's just about fitting in.

The party in and of itself was great though, the entertainment was spectacular. And I might go to other events there. It's a nice place, and the point of the church is great.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

How neat that you got to go and be amongst your own. Interesting, but understandable that you felt out of place. I bet that feeling will fade as you attend more events like that.

Krista J said...

Well, it's a new group of people that you're not used to yet. I think that them being Norwegian is irrelevant to your feelings. It's probably mostly because of your group anxiety issues. :) If you continue to go and become closer to the friends you meet there, you'll feel more and more comfortable. Hey, maybe you'll even start feeling Norwegian again. But the whole-not feeling Norwegian-thing came from your strong desire not to be Norwegian when you moved here. You tried so hard to fit in in America. So, do the same with them and I bet it will work out the same way. I do thing you could have a balance, though. :)